Go to start page

Memorials

Print

Monument for the Resistance

For the victims of the resistance against the National-Socialist Regime, Ignaz Schuhmann and Leopold Hilgarth, a monument was built by the Alkoven local authority in the year 2003. It is located at the Eastern side of the castle next to the entrance to the outbuildings. It was created by Herbert Friedl. 

Photo: Monument for the resistance, long shot Photo: Monument for the resistance, detail shot

Danube Memorial Stone

In October 2001 a memorial was built at the bank of the Danube between Brandstatt and Wilhering on the latitude of the Village Gstocket (Alkoven local authority). Here, the ashes of the Euthanasia victims were poured away into the Danube. The Hartheim Castle Association iniciated the erection of the memorial. On a large Danube rock a sentence by the Upper-Austrian writer Franz Rieger is inscribed: 'The water erased the tracks which the memory keeps'. 

Photo: Danube Memorial Stone for the victims of NS 'euthanasia' in Hartheim

 

French Memorial

This memorial is the oldest one at Hartheim Castle. It was built in the year 1950 by Amicale de Mauthausen, and dedicated especially for the French victims of the former Concentration Camp Mauthausen. It is located at the northern side of the castle next to the village. On the stone the following text is engraved: 'Honneur aux Francais Victims de la Barbarie Nazie Morts an Hartheim pour la France et la Liberté du Monde. 1939–1945. In honour to the French victims of the Nazi barbarity dead in Hartheim for supporting France and the world freedom'. 

Photo: Memorial for the French victims of the 14f13 action in Hartheim castle, detail shot Photo: Memorial for the French victims of the 14f13 action in Hartheim castle, long shot

Memorial Cross by Helmut Berger (1969)

In the year 1969 the Upper Austrian Welfare Society (today GSI Gesellschaft für soziale Initiativen [Society for Social Initiatives]) created the first memorial site at Hartheim Castle. It consisted of the former Admission Room and the former Gas Chamber. The design of this memorial rooms centred around a coloured wooden cross with painted corpus by Helmut Berger, which hung above an altar. The windows held stained glass in various shades of cool blue by Rudolf Kolbitsch. When the memorial site was recreated in 2002/03, the cross was transferred to the arcades on the second floor. 

Memorial Cross by Helmut Berger, long shot Memorial Cross by Helmut Berger

Contact Details

Lern- und Gedenkort Schloss Hartheim
SCHLOSSSTRASSE 1
A-4072 ALKOVEN

tel +43 7274 6536-546
fax +43 7274 6536-548
email office(at)schloss-hartheim.at 

Our office is open:
Mon–Thu: 8.30–16.30
Fri: 8.30–13.00

Opening Hours

Mon and Fri: 9.00 – 15.00
Tue – Thu: 9.00 – 16.00
Sunday and holiday: 10.00 – 17.00
Saturday closed

 




© 2013 Lern- und Gedenkort Schloss Hartheim